Monday, November 4, 2013

Germany Makes Third Gender Option Legal

Germany recently passed a law that states that parents are not required to check a gender box on a child's birth certificate. This came about as certain adult members of society claim that they were born with both male and female characteristics. However, it is not clear as to how this is going to affect other aspects of the law such as marriage. It is also not clear if a child is going to have to choose a gender to identify with as they get older, and when such a decision must be made.

At first I thought this was really strange, but as I listened to the 2 individuals who spoke of how difficult it was to not be able to identify with a gender it started to make some sort of sense. However I really think they should have thought this through a little better as it pertains to things like marriage, prisons, and other gender specific institutions.

cnn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment